Besso is one of my favorite drinks in the morning. Sometimes I don’t feel like eating breakfast, so this is usually a filling breakfast drink for me. Chiko is a form of besso is snack version of that drink made from butter.
How to make the drink:
- Buy besso. Besso is basically barley. Make sure to get it in a flour form unless you plan to grind it yourself. I am sure you don’t want to do that. You can buy it here.
- One cup of water (add more if you want to make several servings)
- Add as much besso as you want. Don’t make it too watery.
- Add either honey or sugar to taste.
Yup. It’s that simple. There is nothing special about it. It’s like a protein shake made out of barley.
How to make the snack:
- Have the besso. Look at the above recipe to get an idea on where to buy it.
- Half of cup of butter for 1 cup of besso, so if you do 2 cups of besso that’s one cup of melted butter. A lot of Ethiopians will swear by the equal part ratio which is 1 cup of butter for 1 cup of besso, and I will tell you my heart is just screaming thinking about that. By using a half a cup of butter for every cup of besso, your heart can chill a bit, but you still get the buttery feel. Remember this isn’t the healthiest of snacks out there. 😉
- Mix the butter and the besso.
- Put it in the fridge for about 15-30 minutes.
- Cut into little pieces and serve.
This snack is perfect for when you are having coffee.
And now you’re one step closer to being a master Ethiopian chef.